Caramel Poke Cake
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 12 oz caramel sauce
- 8 ounces/1 cup Crème Chantilly
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix at least 30 seconds between each.
- Add salt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture and mix until combined. Add 1/2 of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-28 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then poke holes on the top with the end of a wooden spoon or any thin, round object. Pour caramel sauce into holes and spread the remaining on top of cake. Place in the refrigerator for ten minutes. After ten minutes, spread thawed whipped topping on top. Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of four hours. Before serving, drizzle more caramel sauce, if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: In a time crunch, you can start with a boxed yellow cake mix and use refrigerated whipped topping in place of creme Chantilly.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.