Caramelized French Onion Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread (1 lb), cubed
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, sugar, bay leaves and thyme sprigs, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and onions are thoroughly sweated and beginning to caramelize.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs and add red wine. Simmer until wine is almost thoroughly evaporated.
- Add beef stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, half and half and salt.
- Place half of bread cubes in bottom of baking dish, top with half of milk/egg mixture and using a slotted spoon, half of onion mixture. Sprinkle half of cheese on top of onions. Repeat layers: bread, milk/eggs, onions, and finish with remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, or until set and cheese is golden brown. Garnish with additional sprigs of thyme.