Caramelized Pear & Brie Tart with Cranberries & Candied Pecans
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons chilled water
- 3 pears
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute sour cream)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup candied pecans
- 1 cup brie cheese, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Process 1/2 cup of butter, flour and sugar in a food processor or blender, until crumbly. Add egg yolk and water and process until dough begins to form. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth, then wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface and place in a tart dish. Trim excess by rolling over top with a rolling pin. Heat oven to 400°F. Peel and slice pears, sprinkle with brown sugar, then sauté in remaining butter, in a skillet over medium-high heat until foaming and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place pastry weights (or dry beans or rice) on crust and bake, on a baking sheet, for 10 minutes to prevent puffing. Remove weights and bake another 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Beat cream until just beginning to thicken. Beat in eggs, cinnamon and salt. Arrange pears in crust, tucking in pecans, brie cheese, and cranberries as well. Pour cream mixture over all. Bake 30 minutes or until just set. Cool for 5 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.
Third place winner in Imperial Sugar’s 2012 Homemade Holidays Recipe Contest!