Carrot Cake Deluxe With Orange Icing
- 1 1/4 cups grapeseed oil
- 2 cups firmly packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons frozen concentrated orange juice or regular orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh orange zest, no white bitter pith
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour, or using baking spray prepare a 9 or 10 inch tube pan, set aside.
- In a bowl mix oil and sugar until well mixed. Mix in eggs, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Add grated carrots.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and add to above, add pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 45 - 55 minutes. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Turn cake out pan. Let cool.
- For icing, mix powdered sugar, orange juice and zest using a whisk and combine well. For a firmer icing use more powdered sugar.
- Pour icing onto the cooled cake and decorate as desired.
I got this off the Dixie Crystal sugar about 50 years ago and my family just loved it always added extra carrots and extra pecans it didn't put no ice in on it and they just loved it. My daughter asked me for that recipe a couple weeks ago and I looked and looked and couldn't find it so I decided to go to Dixie Crystal and find it cuz I want to make it again it was so good and I haven't made it in quite a few years. It was the best moist cake
Very moist and I like that it uses oil instead of butter. Really fast to mix together.