Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1 cup coarse-grated carrots
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, Vietnamese preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coconut flakes optional
- Maple syrup, optional as needed
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients, combine water and carrots and bring to a boil. Once boiling, simmer for 3 minutes. Add oats, salt, and sugar. Simmer uncovered until oats are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla extract. If needed, add a touch of milk or water to bring it to the right consistency.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional walnuts and or coconut flakes. Serve with maple syrup if desired.