Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
Carrot Cake Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large stand mixer, combine butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to mixing bowl, and beat on low until just combined.
- Fold in carrots, coconut and walnuts, by hand.
- Transfer batter to a frosting bag fitted with a round tip. Squeeze out rounded portions of batter, about two inches in diameter, onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Leave about two inches in between whoopie pies for spreading.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until tops feel set when you tap them lightly with your finger. Edges will be lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese filling, use a large bowl and beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt until well combined. Add powdered sugar in two batches and beat until smooth.
- To assemble the whoopie pies, spread the cream cheese filling onto the bottom of a cookie, and top it with another cookie, forming a sandwich. Serve fresh or refrigerate any leftovers and let them rest for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.