Chai Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter, very cold or frozen
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon loose chai tea (3 tea bags cut open)
- Using a box grater, grate super cold butter sticks over medium “eyes” of grater.
- Cream together grated butter and powdered sugar in bowl of stand mixer.
- Add in egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, and loose tea. Whisk together.
- Add to mixing bowl and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Lay a long piece of parchment paper out onto a flat surface.
- Scoop dough into center of paper.
- Use long sides of paper to help mold and stretch dough into a 20-inch log.
- Wrap and twist ends closed.
- Place into freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from freezer and remove paper.
- Place onto cutting board, cut 1/2-inch slices and place cookies onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on wire rack.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.
I omitted the tea and used about a tablespoon of lemon zest and they were delightful ? I have also sprinkled about 1/4 cup of sugar onto the parchment paper so the edges of the cookies have a lovely sweet sugar edge that only Imperial Sugar could provide ?