Cheddar and Cranberry Irish Soda Bread
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dried or 1 cup fresh or frozen and defrosted cranberries, drained
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together buttermilk, salt, pepper, and sugar in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. On large eyes of a box grater, grate butter directly onto flour. Add grated cheese and stir together.
- Add dry ingredient mixture into buttermilk bowl along with cranberries.
- Mix together with a spatula and/or hands. The mixture will be soft and slightly tricky to handle.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces and shape round. Place both on a large parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Using a sharp serrated knife cut a deep X into surface of loaves.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes. To test for doneness, tap bottom of loaves, which will sound hollow as a drum when done.