Chef Eddy's Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup tablespoon natural or dutched cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- Double recipe Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 1 cup pecan halves or pieces
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 310°F
- Brush a thin coat of butter on sides of a 12x17-inch jelly roll pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Also cut strips of parchment paper to line sides of pan, ensure that these will be large enough to extend 1/2 inch above sides of pan.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and both sugars and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add coffee in 3 increments, while whisking the batter smooth in between additions.
- Pour batter into pan and place in the oven, bake for 37-40 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Leave cake in pan to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare ganache and set aside.
- Wait for cake to be cooled before coating it with ganache. Sprinkle with pecan halves.