Cherry Cola Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Dutched cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chery cola
- Chery Cola Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup cherry cola
- 4 oz best quality semi or bittersweet chocolate
- Chery Cola Thickened Cherries
- 1 can (12-15 oz) red tart cherries or sweet dark frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup cherry cola
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Optional: Red food color
- Optional: Fresh cherries for garnish
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour or preferably line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, salt and cola and whisk smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to above and whisk until blended.
- Pour (runny) batter into the pan and place in oven, bake for 40-43 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After cooling remove from cake pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare Chery Cola chocolate sauce. Chop chocolate in small pieces and place in a small bowl. Bring Cola to a boil and pour onto chocolate. Stir or whisk until smooth.
- Prepare thickened cherries. Open can and drain the cherries very well. You can use the juice to flavor beverages etc. Alternatively defrost cherries.
- Bring cola to a boil in a small saucepan. In a small cup stir cornstarch with an additional tablespoon cold Cola or water. Pour cornstarch mixture into boiling cola and whisk until boiling and lightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add well drained cherries. Add food color if desired.
- Cut cake and serve with sauce and cherries. Sauce can be reheated over low simmering water or in 5 second increments in a microwave oven.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments