Cherry Cordial Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 32 maraschino cherries, removed from juice
- Cherry Cordial Icing
- 2 cups, divided Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons juice from maraschino cherries (grenadine)
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into small circles and place on prepared baking sheet. If dough is too sticky, refrigerate it for 30 minutes and try again.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Cherries: Pat cherries with paper towels until dried. In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Dip cherries in chocolate and place on parchment paper. Let chocolate cool and harden. This can be sped up by popping cherries in fridge for 15 minutes.
- For the icing: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, grenadine and cherry extract milk until smooth. Using a spoon, smooth icing onto the top of each cookie.
- Quickly top with chocolate dipped cherry and let set for 10 minutes, or until hardened. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.