Cherry Limeade Margarita Pie
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pastry or all-purpose flour
- 1-14 ounce can red tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 6 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange liquor
- 4 egg yolks + 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- For dough: Mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg yolks and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour and one low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Press dough between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap and place in refrigerator until firm enough to roll.
- Turn on oven to 375° F.
- Roll chilled dough onto a light floured surface into a circle large enough to cover pie tin. Lay dough into pie tin and press into edges. Cut away excess dough and prick dough using a fork.
- Place into oven and bake until crust is light golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Drain cherries and retain juice. Pour 1/2 cup of cherry juice into a small saucepan and add 2 tablespoon sugar. Bring to a boil.
- In a separate small bowl combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of cherry juice or water. Pour into boiling juice and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat. Using a spoon gently stir in the drained cherries.
- Spoon cherries into baked pie crust and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine gelatin and water and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together lime juice, liquors, egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. Place over a bowl filled with 1 inch deep low simmering water. Whisk constantly until it begins to thicken and or an inserted thermometer reads 165°F.
- Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture. Whisk smooth. Place bowl into another bowl filled with iced water and stir until it reaches room temperature or slightly below. (about60°F-70°F). Remove and set aside.
- Whip egg whites and remaining 2 tablespoon sugar until firm peaks form. Gently fold into above and transfer into pie shell.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
This version is made using a crisp crust but another very good option is using a graham cracker crust.