Cherry Oat Cookie Crumble Bars
Oat Crumble Base and Topping
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- Zest of one orange
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 cups tart cherries, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 × 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides for easy removal after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, cream together softened butter and brown sugar. Stir in oats, flours, orange zest, ginger, and salt to make a crumbly mix.
- Scoop 1 1/2 cups of crumble into prepared baking dish and press firmly into an even, flat base.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine cherries with sugar and cornstarch. Gently stir until cherries are evenly coated. Spoon mixture onto prepared crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumble filling onto cherry layer. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for on hour, then carefully lift out using edges of parchment and set onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into square or rectangular bar cookies.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.