Cherry Truffle Bars
- 3 cups (1 lb. 3 oz.) premium chocolate, 60% cocoa
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz.) with a minimum of 11% fat
- 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2/3 cup dried cherries or cherry flavored cranberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 16 oz chocolate flavored candy coating
- Cut chocolate into pea-size pieces and place in a bowl large enough to hold remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- Press a sheet of plastic food wrap tightly into a 9x13-inch pan. If needed, oil pan to make plastic stick better. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine coconut milk and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour onto chocolate and whisk until chocolate has melted.
- Add almond extract (if using) and dried fruits. Pour into plastic-lined prepared pan and cover with a sheet of plastic food film. Place in refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight.
- Scatter almonds on a cookie sheet and place in a 350°F oven until golden and lightly fragrant, about 14 minutes. Almonds will go from underdone to burned in minutes, so watch closely.
- Place a cutting board in the freezer.
- Remove surface plastic from chocolate pan. Turn pan upside down onto prechilled and plastic-lined cutting board.
- Cut lengthwise in three equal strips and crosswise in 3/4-inch bars. Separate bars so they do not touch.
- Melt a few tablespoons of chocolate coating. Spread a thin and even layer of melted chocolate coating over entire surface of each bar. This action will prevent the fork from sticking to filling during the dipping process.
- Once coating has firmed, turn bars upside down onto a new sheet of plastic food wrap.
- Spread another thin layer of chocolate coating on each surface and while still wet, adhere almonds.
- Melt remaining chocolate coating in a small bowl. Drop a bar with almonds facing down into melted coating, turn over with a fork and lift up. The surface of fork should be on the precoated side of the bar. (Done in step 10).
- Place on a parchment lined surface and allow to harden.