Chewy Pecan Pie Brittle Candy
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Set aside one of the following: a silicone baking mat or a cookie sheet lined with evenly oiled or buttered aluminum foil or a lightly oiled granite surface.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients stir water and sugar to a boil. Once boiling place a lid on the pan for 3 minutes and then remove. The lid will trap steam which in turn will run down the sides and take down any sugar crystals stuck to the side of the pan. This is a very important step to prevent sugar mixture from turning grainy and crystallizing during boiling process.
- Cook on high heat but if working on gas make sure that flames do not go up the sides. Absolutely do not stir in the pan until a deep golden color is obtained.
- When mixture has obtained a honey / caramel color, remove from heat and add butter, salt followed by pecan pieces. Stir using a rubber heat resistant spatula.
- Place pan back on heat and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir baking soda in vanilla and stir into above.
- Spread on prepared pan and allow to cool.
- Store airtight in plastic bags.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments