Chocolate Banana and Nutella Icebox Cake
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons, well packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (55-63% cocoa)
- 1 sleeve graham crackers
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3-4 bananas
- 4-5 tablespoons Nutella®
- Pecans or walnuts pieces, or toasted hazelnuts
- In a saucepan combine milk, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and cornstarch. Whisk over high heat until mixture boils and makes very thick bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and chocolate chips and whisk smooth.
- If you are planning to serve the dessert onto a cake plate or serving platter do the following: Spread a tiny amount of oil in an 8 x 8-inch deep baking pan and line it with plastic food film ensuring that plastic hangs well over the sides. Otherwise skip the oil and plastic.
- Arrange graham crackers over bottom surface of pan.
- Scrape 1/2 of chocolate cream onto crackers.
- Place another layer of crackers onto cream. Cover with remaining chocolate cream. Sprinkle surface with a thin layer of powdered sugar or dot with butter to prevent a skin from forming. Place in refrigerator for 60 minutes or overnight.
- If desired, lift dessert out of pan by pulling the plastic sides.
- Remove plastic by sliding metal spatulas underneath dessert and pulling away plastic.
- Slice one banana in thin slices and arrange on surface of cake.
- Whip whipping cream with sugar to medium firm peaks. Spread a thin layer of cream onto bananas.
- Slice remaining bananas and arrange in rows on the surface. Using a pipping bag fitted with a medium pastry tip, pipe kisses in between banana rows.
- Just before serving, spoon Nutella® into a heat-safe bowl and microwave in 15-second intervals until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle Nutella and sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately.