Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Cake
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup German Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric or stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture in 3 portions alternating with buttermilk in 2 portions, beating just until blended after each addition. Gradually add coffee and bourbon, beat until smooth.
- Divide batter equally between pans. Tap each pan to remove any air bubbles. Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool cake in pans on rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Invert cakes.
- To assemble: Place first cake onto serving platter. Frost top of cake with German chocolate icing and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
- Place second cake on top of first cake. Ice complete cake with chocolate icing.
- Garnish with whole pecans and drizzle top with whiskey caramel sauce.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: To save time you can prepare the cakes the night before and assemble them the following day.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Paula Jones @bellalimento.