Chocolate Brownie Cranberry Trifle
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 ounce chocolate syrup
- 24 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
Whipped Topping Layer
- 24 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Sugared cranberries
- Chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line 9 X 9 square baking pan with parchment paper or foil with overlapping ends. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine diced butter, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Microwave/heat for 30 seconds. Stir mixture and microwave for another 30 seconds. Let chocolate mixture cool slightly.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled a bit, stir in vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in eggs.
- Mix in flour until completely incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate syrup.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Pour cranberries, water, and sugar into medium saucepan.
- Cook cranberries over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and press down on cranberries with spatula as they cook.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey, and let sauce cool completely.
- For layered trifle, cut brownies into cubes and add half to bottom of trifle dish.
- Cover brownies with a layer of cranberry sauce.
- Add a layer of thawed whipped topping. Repeat layers, ending with whipped topping.
- Top with sugared cranberries and chocolate shavings.
- Chill in fridge until ready to serve. (Dessert can be made up to 2 days in advance.)
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.