Chocolate Cake Hearts with Raspberry Frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup dutched cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries, pureed and at room temperature
- 1 pint fresh raspberries for decoration
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 310°F.
- Line an 11 x 17-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk together egg and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat water in a microwave-safe bowl until hot.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, whisking the batter smooth between additions.
- Scrape batter into pan evenly and bake for 18-20 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Let cake cool in pan. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting using a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar a cup at a time, scraping sides of bowl between additions.
- Mix in raspberry puree one teaspoon at a time, waiting for previous amount to be fully incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl often.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a small star tip.
- When cake has cooled, flip cake pan upside down on a plastic wrap-lined surface. Cut into heart shapes as close as possible to minimize cake waste. (Mix the leftover crumbles with vanilla ice cream and save for later.)
- Pipe frosting on half of the heart cutouts and top with another heart-shaped piece of cake.
- Decorate top and finish with a few raspberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments