Chocolate Cake with Red Berry Topping
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup cacao, preferably dark type
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red Berry Soup
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup any berries such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, black or red currants
- 2 tablespoons raspberry or kirsh (cherry) liquor, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper for no easy removal. Set aside.
- Sift together sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon and set aside in a large bowl.
- Combine butter, oil, hot coffee and cacao in a saucepan and bring to a near simmer while stirring. Pour into dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Add buttermilk and combine well. Add eggs, baking soda and vanilla and mix until combined. Spread batter into the pan and place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes. Cake is done when center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean.
- If desired, serve with red berry soup.
- For red berry soup boil water and sugar and remove from heat. Let cool. Pour cooled syrup in a blender and blend with strawberries to a smooth puree. Remove from blender. Fold in remaining berries, vanilla and liquor if using.