Chocolate Chip Macarons
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and almond flour until no lumps remain.
- Combine room temperature egg whites and pinch of salt in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Whip egg whites until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and increase speed to high.
- Set timer for 15 minutes and let egg whites whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Whip in 2-3 drops brown gel food color.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold almond flour/powdered sugar mixture into whipped egg whites.
- Slowly fold and mix until batter is smooth. Batter is ready when it "melts" when drizzled on top of itself.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a macaron baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with batter; snip the end.
- Pipe 1-inch circles onto the baking sheet, leaving 1-inch space between each macaron.
- Tap baking sheet onto counter to remove air bubbles.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips onto 1/2 of macaron shells.
- Let macarons to sit at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and bake macarons in a preheated oven with the door slightly open.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until they are matte looking and dry to the touch. Test 1 macaron by lifting it gently from baking sheet. If bottom tears apart, bake for 3-5 more minutes and test again.
- Remove from oven and allow macarons to cool completely on baking sheet.
- For the filling, in a small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together. Whisk until brown sugar dissolves into butter, then remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add butter and sugar mixture to bowl of mixer.
- Mix in powdered sugar. Whip in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Pipe filling onto flat surfaces of macarons without chocolate chips.
- Sandwich macarons bottoms with filling with macaron tops with chocolate chips.
Little tips at the top of each piped cookie? Dip your finger into a little water and pat the tip down on the cookie top.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett@BigBearsWife.