Chocolate Cinnamon Orange Bread Twists
- 2 packages of dry instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk, warm
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp2 eggs, room temp
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Use a stand mixer with dough hook attachment and add yeast and 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar.
- Pour warm milk over yeast and sugar and lightly whisk to combine. Allow yeast mixture to sit and proof for 10 minutes. Yeast should be frothy and foamy in texture.
- Add remaining granulated sugar to proofed yeast mixture. Add softened butter and mix on low to combine ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes, then add eggs mixing until fully combined.
- Slowly begin adding flour 1/2 cup at a time allowing flour to fully incorporate into mixture before adding more.
- Once all flour is added, turn mixer to medium speed and mix dough until a single, large smooth ball of dough forms. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky, but should not stick to sides of bowl.
- If dough is sticking to bowl, slowly add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes away from sides of bowl and forms a ball. Allow dough to turn on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl. Knead with your hands on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes. Place dough into a large greased bowl.
- Lightly grease top of dough and cover with a dry tea towel. Set dough aside in a warm place to rise in for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- To make filling, use a small mixing bowl and cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in cinnamon, cocoa powder, and vanilla until fully combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line one large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, and roll each piece out into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Spread each rectangle with chocolate cinnamon filling, about 2 heaping tablespoons for each piece of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border at bottom of each rectangle.
- Roll each rectangle up and pinch bottom. Slice each roll in half and pinch each end together, twisting each. Repeat process with remaining rolls.
- Space rolls about 1/2-inch apart, and cover with a tea towel and allow to rise for an additional 20 minutes in a warm spot.
- Once twists have risen, gently brush tops with an egg wash and place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- While twists are cooling, prepare icing. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, zest, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of milk. Drizzle over twists.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashley Schoenith @heirloomedblog