Chocolate Cookie Mice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Black lace licorice (tails)
- Red cinnamon candies (nose)
- Silver dragees (for eyes)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and shortening with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; blend well. Stir in vanilla extract. Whisk flour with cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture.
- Whisk flour with cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture. Gather dough into a ball; wrap and chill well, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Pinch off a small piece of dough and roll into a ball with a one inch diameter. Then roll ball lightly into a fat, rounded oval and pinch one end of oval into a sharp point (for mouse nose). Place mouse bodies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Shape small pinches of dough into flat rounds and attach to top of mouse head to form ears. Press silver dragees for eyes and one red cinnamon candy for a "Rudolf" nose.
- Preheat over to 350° F and bake cookies in center of oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately push small pieces of licorice into tail end of each mouse. Move cookies to rack to cool before storing. Recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies.