Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Roll
Chocolate Cake Roll
- 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry puree
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 13x9 inch jelly roll pan and then line with parchment paper, allowing a little to hang over sides for easy removal. Grease parchment paper and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla until mixture is light in color and thickened. Gradually add in remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
- Carefully fold in egg yolk mixture into egg whites until thoroughly combined. Carefully fold in dry ingredients, in batches, until just combined.
- Spread batter in pan in an even layer and smooth with an offset spatula. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and sift powdered sugar all over top of cake. Place a cloth and then cooling rack on top cake and invert cake. Carefully remove parchment paper. Sprinkle underside of cake with sifted powdered sugar. Gently roll cake and towel together into a log (towel will be coiled in the cake) and let cool, seam side down on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make strawberry whipped cream. In beat cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium/medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold in strawberry puree.
- Once cake is cool, gently unroll and remove the towel. Using a spatula, spread whipped cream in an even layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border around cake. Reserve any unused strawberry whipped cream for serving with cake. Re-roll cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, garnish cake by drizzling with melted chocolate and topping with chocolate covered strawberries, or by dusting with powdered sugar.
Dixie Crystals Insight
To quickly make strawberry puree, thaw frozen strawberries and puree in food processor. Push puree through a fine-mesh sieve with the back of a spoon, discarding the solids.