Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ghost Cupcakes
- 24 fresh strawberries
- 16 oz white chocolate candy coating
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 12 crushed chocolate wafer cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Start with white chocolate covered strawberry ghosts. Melt white chocolate candy coating according to package directions. Dip clean strawberries down into the white chocolate until it almost reaches the top. Lay chocolate dipped strawberries on parchment paper and let chocolate harden.
- Prepare cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Fill cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add eggs, milk, and oil. Mix well. Stir in vanilla. Carefully mix in boiling water. The batter will be very liquid.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Prepare chocolate ganache and let cool slightly.
- When ready to decorate, start with one cupcake at a time. Top each cupcake with a layer of chocolate ganache. Add one ghost to top of each cupcake. Add a small amount of chocolate ganache to a piping bag or plastic bag with the corner trimmed and draw eyes and mouth on each ghost. Sprinkle crushed chocolate wafer cookies around ghost and lightly press into chocolate ganache.
- Store at room temperature.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.