Chocolate Crème Brulee
- Preheat oven to 330°F.
- Bring milk, cream, half of brown sugar, and salt to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and whisk into heated mixture. Once whisked smooth add vanilla. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add brown sugar and very quickly and thoroughly whisk together until very well blended. Gradually whisk in a cup (240g) of cream/chocolate mixture.
- Combine yolk mixture with remaining cream/chocolate mixture.
- Place 8 shallow ramekins in a roasting pan. Filling ramekins is best done in the oven as walking with prefilled ramekins results in spilling cream over the edges.
- Open the oven door and place pan on the oven rack. Fill ramekins 1/8 inch away from edge. It is important that they are all filled with the same amount.
- Pour hot water in roasting pan until it comes up halfway of ramekin sides.
- Close oven and bake until center no longer tremble (is set), about 40-50 minutes. Time will vary depending on the thickness and size of ramekins.
- Place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon (14g) of granulated sugar. Hold a blow torch about 4 inches away from the cream to caramelize (brûlée) the surface.