Chocolate Cream Pie Cookie Cups
- Sugar Cookie Cups
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Baking spray or butter (to butter muffin tin)
- Chocolate Pie Filling
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract (or vanilla)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter until very light and creamy. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt. Beat until very well combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms. Do not over mix. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoon of chilled dough and roll into a ball. Use thumbs to press ball into a bowl shape. Press cookie dough bowl into muffin pan. Continue until muffin pan is full. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Use back of spoon to make a well in the dough, press dough back into a cup/bowl shape. Let cookie cups cool completely on wire rack before removing cookie from muffin tin.
- For the Chocolate Pie Filling, start by heating milk in microwave until hot.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add in warm milk and whisk until smooth. Cook and whisk over medium heat until it starts to boil. As soon as it starts to boil, start a timer for 3 minutes. Whisk for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 1 minute. Whisk in butter and extract.
- Pour 1 ounce of pie filling into each cookie cup.
- Lay plastic wrap over cookie cups, pressing it down and letting it touch the top of each pudding. This will prevent a film from forming as it cools.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Top with Crème Chantilly, shaved chocolate or a dusting of cocoa powder.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.