Chocolate Dipped Orange Marmalade Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 jar orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (any kind)
- 1 cup finely chopped good quality chocolate or chocolate coating
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, and powdered sugar until very well combined, but not until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.
- Once no butter lumps remain, add sifted flour and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough flat onto plastic food film and place dough into freezer for about 20 minutes or until it is cool enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly butter sheets. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper or a cool counter top. Divide dough in half. Starting with the first half, roll dough 3 credit cards thick (a generous 1/8-inch thick).
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch circles. If at any point dough starts sticking, transfer it to fridge or freezer for a few minutes. Do not ball dough up; simply rechill the dough that has been rolled. Continue making circles until all dough has been used.
- For half of circles, using a small 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch cookie cutter remove the centers, creating a ring shape.
- Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets. Bake until very pale golden, about 12 minutes.
- Once cooled, start with the full circle cookies. Place a generous teaspoon of orange marmalade and spread to the edges. Cover with a baked cookie ring. If needed add a small amount of additional marmalade in centers.
- In a double boiler, combine oil (do not use oil if using chocolate coating) and 2/3 of chocolate and melt over super low simmering water until melted. Remove from heat and add remaining chocolate. Stir until all chocolate has melted.
- Dip half of cookies in chocolate and place cookies on parchment or on plastic food film lined surface until chocolate has hardened. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.