Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Surprise Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 fresh (small) strawberries, stems and leaves removed
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 15 fresh strawberries
- 6 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 ounces baking white chocolate, chopped (white candy melt can be used also)
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Heat oven to 350°F . Line 15 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar. With paddle attachment, beat on low speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and two eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour with baking powder and salt. Alternately with milk, add flour mixture to mixing bowl. Stir until dry ingredients are just mixed in.
- Divide cupcake batter between 15 cups and bake in preheated oven for 19-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool completely, in pan on a wire rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make frosting.
- In a mixing bowl combine the 4 ounces melted chocolate with 3/4 cup butter. With paddle attachment, beat on low speed until combined. Gently, beat in powder sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting before sugar is incorporated before adding some more.
- Add cocoa powder and slowly pour in 4-6 tablespoons of heavy cream until frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a 1 M swirl tip.
- With an apple corer or a paring knife hollow out a small piece of cupcake approximately the size of strawberry. Be sure not to go all the way to bottom of cupcake! Repeat process with remaining cupcakes.
- Once all cupcakes have been hollowed, insert a small strawberry into each hole before piping frosting onto cupcakes.
- To make chocolate covered strawberries: In a heatproof bowl, combine 6 ounces dark chocolate with 2 tablespoons heavy cream in a double boiler and stir until chocolate is melted. Turn off heat but leave double boiler on the stove.
- Holding strawberry by stem, dip it into melted chocolate and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Repeat with all strawberries.
- Once all strawberries are dipped in dark chocolate, let chocolate harden before drizzling with melted white chocolate.
- Decorate each cupcake with a chocolate dipped strawberry.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.