Chocolate Ganache Topped Candied Orange Peel Cake
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, no bitter white pith
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup orange juice or 1/4 cup orange juice + 1/4 cup orange liquor
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
- 2/3 cup candied orange peel cut crosswise in 5 pieces
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- Optional: 1/2 cup sliced almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 370°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. For easy removal line tightly with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Add orange zest and salt.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda together. On low speed add 1/3 of flour mixture. Once combined add half of orange juice, when smooth add another third of flour. Repeat with orange juice and flour last. Mix in coconut and candied orange peel.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and lower heat to 350°F. After being in the oven for 45 minutes drape a sheet of buttered aluminum foil gently on the surface of the cake. (Keeps cake from browning too much.)
- Bake until the center of the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a tooth pick comes out clean. About 75 minutes. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- While cake is cooling, make ganache and toast almonds. Toast almonds on a cookie sheet in a 350°F oven until light golden and fragrant, about 12 minutes.
- When cake has cooled spread with ganache. Sprinkle sides with toasted almonds. If desired sprinkle with cocoa powder.
NOTE: Good quality candied orange peel from the web is an entirely different product that what is sold in grocery stores around the Holidays.