Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- White chocolate bark, melted
- Sprinkles or mini M&Ms for buttons
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger; gradually add to cream mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out shapes with a floured cookie cutter. Place cookies one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet (or silicone baking mat). Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling scraps.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely before decorating.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add white chocolate morsels or bark. Follow heating instructions for melting chocolate. Reserve a small amount of melted chocolate to tint with red food coloring.
- Transfer to piping bags, and pipe faces onto cookies. Use a drop of chocolate to attach gingerbread man buttons. Allow chocolate to set for at about 30 minutes, or pop into a refrigerator to set quickly.
- When stored in an airtight container, cookies should last about 5 days.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @Aimee Broussard.