Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts With Candied Pecans
- 1/4 cup slightly warm water (about 100°F)
- 2 (1/4 oz) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups milk at room temperature
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg or mace
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- A few quarts of frying oil such as peanut oil (for the fryer, wok or deep pan)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour yeast and warm water in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add milk and eggs and beat to combine.
- Add sugar, butter, vanilla, nutmeg, half of flour and all salt and mix until dough is smooth. Add remaining flour and mix until dough is elastic and no longer sticks to sides of the bowl. The total mixing time will be about 7-9 minutes on medium speed.
- Leave dough in bowl or transfer to a working surface. (Working on stone is not recommended as it cools dough and hinders yeast activity. Cover dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove towel and press on dough to remove much of the air. Fold dough on itself to shape it back into a smooth piece of dough. Cover and allow resting for another 15 minutes.
- On a very lightly floured surface (using too much flour will give doughnuts a burned appearance) roll dough to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Cut very closely using a doughnut cutter (or a large and small round cutter) and place on lightly floured paper towels or kitchen towels. Cover with a kitchen towel or paper towel and allow them to rise until they have gained 50% in volume.
- Meanwhile pour frying oil in a fryer, wok or a deep pan and heat to 350°F.
- Prepare glaze by boiling whipping cream and sugar in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and wait 4 minutes. Add chocolate and whisk smooth,
- Lift each doughnut gently off of towel and carefully and gently place in oil. Fit as many as possible.
- Cook on each side until golden in color. Lift out of oil with a slotted spoon or tongs onto a wire rack or cookie sheet fitted with paper towels.
- If needed, rewarm chocolate glaze to make fluid again. Dip warm doughnuts in chocolate glaze and sprinkle with candied pecan pieces.
Making doughnuts at home is not difficult. Just ensure that the water for the yeast and the milk are at the required temperatures to obtain successful rising dough. For mixing it is recommended to use a stand-up mixer or a high wattage handheld mixer fitted with the dough attachments. However, kneading the dough by hand can also be done and allows you to skip the gym for the day.