Chocolate Ice Cream
- Start by mixing together whole milk, granulated sugar, and 1 cup of heavy cream over medium heat. Whisk in cocoa powder until it is nice and smooth. Bring this to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat and cook for about 30 seconds. You want to get it just hot enough that it will melt the chocolate chips.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in chocolate chips. Mix until they are completely melted and mixture is nice and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks until they are really well combined and have a pale yellow color.
- Very slowly, while actively whisking eggs, stream in chocolate milk mixture. Once it is all mixed in, pour it back into saucepan and return to stove.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until it reaches 170-175º F, stirring frequently. It will coat the back of a spoon, and when you run a finger through it, it will stay separated and not run back together.
- Pour mixture through a sieve to get rid of any eggs that scrambled and make sure it is nice and smooth.
- Mix in remaining heavy cream and vanilla extract. Cover and place in a fridge for at least 8 hours, or until it is nice and cold.
- Once mixture is nice and cold, use your ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes, or according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
- Store in freezer for at least an hour until ready to serve.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.