Chocolate Iced Lemon Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare cookie sheets with a silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, vegetable oil and sugar until light and fluffy and pale yellow. Add vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. A little at a time, add flour mixture. Combine well.
- Use a small cookie scoop and drop onto onto prepared cookie sheets. Slightly flatten each cookie. Bake for 10 minutes, or just until cookies begin to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.
- While cookies cool, make chocolate buttercream icing.
- With a paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy. In a medium sized bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add sugar mixture to butter, a little at a time. Once blended, add salt, vanilla extract, and heavy cream and beat for an additional 3 minutes; or until stiff peaks begin to form. For stiffer consistency, add more sugar. For thinner, add additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Using an offset spatula, smooth about 1 tablespoon of chocolate icing onto each lemon cookie. Garnish with yellow nonpareils and chocolate shavings, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @SouthernFromScratch.