Chocolate Mud Monsters
- 1 bag (12 oz) dark chocolate chips
- 1 bag (12 oz) milk chocolate chips
- 4 cups Fiber One® cereal
- 32 - 48 candy eyeballs
- 1/4 recipe Basic Butter Cream Frosting OR
- 1/4 recipe Royal Icing
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, slowly melt chocolate chips over low heat until smooth. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add cereal and mix until well coated.
- Drop 1/4 cupfulls onto wax paper.
- Using buttercream or royal icing as "glue", attach two candy eyes to each mud monster.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Mud Monster Variations:
- For a salty/sweet treat, substitute small pretzel sticks for Fiber One® cereal.
- Use small jelly beans as eyes.
- Substitute 1 cup butterscotch chips for dark chocolate chips.
- Use a black jelly bean for a nose.
First, I should make it clear that I did not follow the recipe exactly. I was making this for just me (a chocoholic who is also trying to eat healthier) so I made a much smaller recipe. I found the chocolate was too thick even though I constantly stirred it so I added a few drops of milk to thin it just a bit. I also didn't bother to add the eyes. I enjoyed finding a different and sweet way to get my fiber quota but I'm not sure that young children would like this as well as Chinese noodle cookies made with chow mein noodles.