Chocolate Orange Caramels
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 bag (12-16 oz) milk or dark chocolate coating (optional)
- A touch of fleur de sel (optional)
- Line bottom and sides of a 10 x 10-inch or a 9 x 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Spread foil with a thin coat of vegetable oil and set aside.
- In a deep saucepan (during early stage of cooking, mixture will bubble profusely) combine heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt.
- Place on medium to high heat and constantly stir until mixture reaches 250°F. If working on a gas stove, flames should not go up sides of pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
- If oil beaded up in puddles in prepared pan, quickly spread it even again before pouring in caramel mixture.
- Let cool for at least 3 hours at room temperature.
- Remove caramel from pan and remove foil. Cut into desired size.
- Caramels are delicious as is but can be dipped in chocolate. Melt chocolate coating according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Completely submerge a caramel into melted coating. Using a fork, lift caramel out of coating and place it on a parchment or plastic food bag lined surface.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel before chocolate coating has solidified.
- Repeat until desired amount has been coated. Let chocolate coating harden. Store at room temperature.