Chocolate Panna Cotta
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 envelope gelatin (Knox® recommended)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, about 55% cocoa mass, chopped in pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Creme Chantilly
- Chocolate shavings
- Fruit or berries of choice
- Bring milk, sugar, and salt to a boil in a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients. Remove from heat.
- In a small vessel combine gelatin with water and allow to hydrate for 4 minutes. Add hydrated gelatin to heated milk and whisk until dissolved.
- Add chocolate and whisk until combined. Although mixture may look completely smooth, it is best to use an immersion blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Once mixture feels slightly cooler than lukewarm (about 100°F) stir in vanilla and whipping cream. (Not whipped.)
- Pour in glasses and place in refrigerator. It will take several hours before this Chocolate Panna Cotta is properly set.
- Decorate with fruit/berries of choice, chocolate shavings, and/or creme chantilly as desired. Serve chilled.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Not all gelatin is created equal as they differ in Bloom strength, which relates to capability of firming/setting of any gelatinized mixture.