Chocolate Pound Cake with Dulce de Leche
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Dulce de Leche
- Optional: 1 fresh mango, diced
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- Butter and flour an 8x4- or 9x5-inch loaf pan. If desired line sides and bottom of cake pan with parchment paper for easy and foolproof removal. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is light and fluffy. Add salt and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda together. In low speed add one-third of flour mixture. Once combined add half of orange juice, when smooth add another third of flour. Repeat with orange juice and flour last.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Place in the oven and lower heat to 350°F.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 60 minutes for larger loaf pan size and 75-80 minutes for smaller loaf pan. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve with dulce de leche and mangos if desired.
Ovens vary in temperature and loaf pan sizes as well, therefore when baking pound cakes trust your baking instinct rather than time.