Chocolate Praline Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- Doubled recipe of Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, almond extract, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat coffee or water until hot in a microwave oven.
- Add dry ingredientsto buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot liquid in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth between additions.
- Fill cupcake lines 3/4 full and place in oven. Bake for 20-22 minutes until center of cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Set aside.
- Prepare praline topping - Combine sugars, cream, and butter in a small saucepan and stir to a boil. Continue stir until a thermometer reads 232°F.
- Add pecans, salt, and vanilla and stir to 238°F. Remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Using a fork or a small spoon, scoop small amounts onto a silicone baking mat, wax paper, or non-stick foil and let cool.
- Prepare chocolate ganache.
- Once ganache is cool and firm enough, frost or pipe it onto cupcakes using a large star piping tip.
- Decorate with pecan pralines.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments