Chocolate Pumpkin Cake With Caramel Pecan Topping
Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
Caramel Pecan Topping
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup well-packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Gather three, 8 or 9-inch round cake pans. Cut three parchment rounds by placing a cake pan on parchment paper. Draw a circle around bottom edge and cut using scissors.
- Place a parchment cutout into each cake pan and brush paper and sides with melted butter or coat with nonstick baking spray. Sprinkle evenly with flour and shake out excess; set aside.
- Blend and sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk eggs using a hand-held or stand mixer until well blended. Add sugar and whip until thick and pale, about 5-7 minutes. On low speed add vanilla and 2/3 cup pumpkin puree ensuring a light mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture and mix until just combined to retain air cells obtained by whipping eggs. Scoop and divide evenly into prepared pans.
- Place in oven and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 12-13 minutes.
- Turn upside down on parchment or on plastic food film lined work surface. Keep cake pans over cakes and cool completely. Leave parchment paper on cakes as it makes transferring these delicate cakes much easier.
- Meanwhile, prepare pumpkin frosting by creaming butter until light and fluffy. Add the remaining 2/3 pumpkin puree, ginger, cinnamon, and salt, and blend together.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and whip until light and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a medium-large star tip.
- Place a cake round on a serving tray and remove parchment paper. Pipe rosettes on the entire surface of the cake layer. Place another cake layer on top, remove parchment and pipe remaining frosting on surface.
- Cover with final layer and remove parchment.
- Make caramel topping by bringing to a boil heavy cream, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Boil for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and pecans. Set aside to cool. Once barely warm spoon onto cake.
- Serve cake at room temperature.