Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes With Caramel Pecan Topping
Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
Caramel Pecan Topping
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup well-packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners and set aside.
- Blend and sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs using a hand-held or stand mixer until well blended. Add sugar and whip until thick and pale, about 5-7 minutes. On low speed add vanilla and 2/3 cup pumpkin puree ensuring a light mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture and mix until just combined to retain air cells obtained by whipping eggs. Scoop into cupcake liners about 7/8 full.
- Place in oven and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 19-21 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare pumpkin frosting by creaming butter until light and fluffy. Add 1/3 pumpkin puree, ginger, cinnamon, and salt and blend together.
- Add cup by cup powdered sugar and whip until light and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a medium-large star tip and pipe rosettes on the surface of the completely cooled cupcakes.
- Make caramel topping by bringing to a boil heavy cream, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Boil for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and pecans. Set aside to cool. Once barely warm spoon onto frosting.