Chocolate Raspberry Torte
Chocolate Raspberry Torte
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil (can be olive or avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
White Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup + 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bar (4.4 oz) white chocolate (Lindt preferred)
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 pints raspberries
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil (can be olive oil)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 310°F. Butter and flour 3, 8 or 9-inch baking pans and fit a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan for easy removal of cake. Set aside
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla and salt. Whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Pour very runny batter into pan and place in oven, bake for 40-45 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool.
- In a small saucepan bring 1 cup of heavy cream almost to a boil. Remove from heat. Add white chocolate and sugar. Whisk until chocolate is dissolved.
- Pour mixture in a bowl and place in ice water or in refrigerator until completely cold.
- Add remaining heavy cream and whip to firm peaks.
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Using a large French start tip pipe “kisses” on edge of cake. Spread a layer of whipped cream between row of kisses. Scatter raspberries onto cream.
- Top with another cake layer and repeat process.
- Top with remaining cake layer and pipe a row of “kisses” on edge of cake. Fill center with a mountain of raspberries.
- Place chocolate and oil in a microwave oven proof bowl and melt in 10 second increments until melted. Let cool for a few minutes as warm chocolate would melt whipped cream. Once it is barely lukewarm drizzle chocolate onto cake.