Chocolate Sandwich Bunny Cookies with Marshmallow Buttercream
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pink and blue flat circle sprinkles
- Colored ribbon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Add flour mixture in 3 parts on low speed. Mix just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions, shape into discs, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a rolling surface by coating with a mixture of flour and cocoa. Use this mixture to coat rolling pin and cookie cutter as well. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thick (if you like a thinner cookie, roll to 1/8-inch).
- Place 1/2 of cookies right-side-up onto prepared sheets and other 1/2 flipped over to make a mirror image. (The cookies will be sandwiched together.)
- Freeze cut-out shapes for 10 minutes prior to baking to keep cookies from spreading during baking. Bake for 10 minutes, or until done. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and marshmallow cream until well combined. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Beat in milk and vanilla. Add remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating on low until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until thick and fluffy. (If the frosting seems too thick, add more milk. If it seems to thin, add more powdered sugar.)
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a #4 tip. Pipe an even layer onto the back of 1 bunny cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with all cookies. Switch tip to a star tip and add a cottontail to each.
- Still using the #4 tip, pipe a small dot of icing for the bunny's eye and another for his nose. Using clean tweezers, place a flat blue sprinkle for the eye and a flat pink sprinkle for the nose.
- Tie a pretty ribbon around neck of each sandwich cookie.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.