Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, slightly soft
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith (optional)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, dark or milk
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafers (optional decoration)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, powdered sugar, vanilla, and orange zest until very well combined and lump free, but not until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and mix until barely combined. Add chocolate chips and mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
- Between 2 sheets of plastic food film, shape dough into a 9 x 9-inch square. Near end of shaping, using a rolling pin, make surface as evenly flat as possible.
- Place dough on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for about 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 345°F.
- Remove plastic and cut dough lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch strips. Cut crosswise in 1 1/2 inches strips.
- Place squares on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Once cookies are defrosted, place in oven and bake about 15-18 minutes or until edges are pale golden.
- Optional: Dip cookies in chocolate glaze. Melt chocolate according to manufacturer’s directions and dip each (cooled) cookie in chocolate.