Chocolate Topped Salted Macadamia Nut Caramels
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chocolate, 50-55% cacao content
- 3 tablespoons corn, canola, coconut, or peanut oil
- Line bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch square brownie pan with aluminum foil. Spread bottom and sides with a thin and even coat of oil and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, and using a heat-resistant spatula, stir together sugar, corn syrup, heavy cream, butter, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring up and down the bottom of the pan with a spatula until a thermometer reaches 247°F. To ensure you have reached the correct temperature, carefully tilt pan so thermometer is well submerged in caramel, but not touching bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan.
- After a few minutes scatter macadamia nuts over entire surface.
- Caramel will remain warm for several hours, so wait a minimum of three hours before proceeding with chocolate. It is not recommended to chill caramel in fridge as chocolate may not adhere well.
- The following steps are very important for the chocolate to properly harden: Combine chocolate and oil in a small microwave-proof bowl and melt it in 10-second increments. Once half of chocolate has melted, place it in a microwave for 5-6 seconds at a time. When 3/4 of chocolate has melted, do not return it to the microwave oven. Keep stirring it until all chocolate has melted.
- Spread chocolate over caramel and allow to firm.
- Lift caramel out of pan and remove foil. Place on a cutting board.
- Cut into desired size. All types of caramel will attract moisture and will consequently soften and lose their shape. Therefore, after cutting, wrap each caramel in plastic food wrap.
NOTE: It is a good idea to wear a long-sleeved shirt and gloves while making the caramel.