Chocolate Topped Salted Macadamia Nut Caramels
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chocolate, 50-55% cacao content
- 3 tablespoons corn, canola, coconut, or peanut oil
- Line bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch square brownie pan with aluminum foil. Spread bottom and sides with a thin and even coat of oil and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, and using a heat-resistant spatula, stir together sugar, corn syrup, heavy cream, butter, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring up and down the bottom of the pan with a spatula until a thermometer reaches 247°F. To ensure you have reached the correct temperature, carefully tilt pan so thermometer is well submerged in caramel, but not touching bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan.
- After a few minutes scatter macadamia nuts over entire surface.
- Caramel will remain warm for several hours, so wait a minimum of three hours before proceeding with chocolate. It is not recommended to chill caramel in fridge as chocolate may not adhere well.
- The following steps are very important for the chocolate to properly harden: Combine chocolate and oil in a small microwave-proof bowl and melt it in 10-second increments. Once half of chocolate has melted, place it in a microwave for 5-6 seconds at a time. When 3/4 of chocolate has melted, do not return it to the microwave oven. Keep stirring it until all chocolate has melted.
- Spread chocolate over caramel and allow to firm.
- Lift caramel out of pan and remove foil. Place on a cutting board.
- Cut into desired size. All types of caramel will attract moisture and will consequently soften and lose their shape. Therefore, after cutting, wrap each caramel in plastic food wrap.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: It is a good idea to wear a long-sleeved shirt and gloves while making the caramel.