- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup water, preferably sparkling at room temperature
- 7/8 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large egg whites
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk together water, milk, and yeast. Add vanilla, sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Add dry ingredients and whisk until no lumps remain. Melt butter and whisk in.
- If serving waffles in about an hour, whip egg whites to medium peaks and fold into above. Cover with plastic food wrap and let rise until doubled, about one hour. Jump to step 6.
- If serving tomorrow, do not add egg whites at this point. Cover with plastic and sit bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes and then transfer to fridge.
- Following day, remove waffle batter from fridge and whip egg whites in a separate bowl to medium peaks. Gently fold into batter.
- Preheat waffle iron to its highest setting. The higher wattage iron has, the crisper exterior will be, while obtaining a tender moist interior.
- When using a nonstick waffle iron, it is not necessary to butter or spray iron prior to filling with batter.
- Use a ladle to fill iron. Total cooking time will be about 3 minutes depending on wattage of iron.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.