Christmas Peppermint Patties
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound dark dipping chocolate
- Red and green food coloring (gel colors work best)
- Optional: 3 tablespoons colored sprinkles
- In a stand mixer combine powdered sugar, corn syrup, milk, shortening, peppermint, and vanilla extract. Once mostly together turn onto a work surface dusted with powdered sugar. Using your hands, knead dough until it is a smooth ball of dough. Add a tiny bit more milk or more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Divide dough into 3 even balls. In a bowl mix red food coloring into one ball, and green into the other.
- Roll each ball of dough into a log about 6 inches long. Start by placing one log between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, gently roll until it is a rectangle about 10x12-inch. Complete this step with the remaining 2 colors. Set sheets on a baking tray, still in parchment paper, and let set in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Once sheets are chilled, remove top layer of parchment paper from each color. Lay one sheet on work surface. Top with another color, remove parchment paper. Top with last layer, removing parchment paper.
- Once 3 layers are stacked, gently roll to seal and get rid of any bubbles.
- Trim edges, to create a neat rectangle. Starting with long side, use bottom layer of parchment paper to help roll into a log. Freeze dough for 1 hour.
- Remove frozen log from freezer. Cut into 1/4-inch disks.
- Melt dark dipping chocolate according to the package directions. Using a fork dip each disk into chocolate, gently shaking off excess. Place on a lined cookie sheet. Top immediately with sprinkles, if using. Repeat with remaining disks. Let harden completely before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.