Christmas Tree Julekake
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1 cup assorted, coarsely chopped, dried and/or candied fruit
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups bread flour* or all-purpose flour*
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Optional decorations: 14 red and/or green candied cherries and 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Heat water to between 120-130°F. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and butter to 120-130°F.
- Pour milk and butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Add dissolved yeast, sugar, salt, cardamom, and egg and stir. Then stir in dried and/or candied fruit.
- Stir in 3 cups of flour. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of flour onto your work surface. Turn dough out onto flour. Knead dough, incorporating flour.
- If needed, add up to 1/2 cup more flour as you continue to knead dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with butter. Place dough in bowl, turning it to grease entire surface.
- Cover bowl with a towel and let dough rise in warm place for about 2 hours until dough doubles in size. The dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.
- Gently push your fist into dough to deflate it.
- Then remove and cut dough into 24 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll 21 pieces into balls and arrange them on a large baking sheet in a tall triangle spacing them about 1/8-inch apart.
- Then press remaining 3 pieces into a large rectangle and set it below bottom edge of triangle to create tree trunk.
- Cover and let dough rise in warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolk and water together then brush it over top and sides of Christmas tree.
- Bake for 30-38 minutes until deep golden brown.
- This bread is best if served the day it is baked but will keep for up to 3 days.
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.