- Spiced Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Churro Bites
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cups + 1 teaspoon, divided Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare spiced chocolate fudge sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat water, sugar, and corn syrup until boiling. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cocoa powder and cayenne until smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Add chopped chocolate to the pan, stir, and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Stir until smooth. If needed, place back over low heat and stir until smooth.
- Pour into a container and refrigerate until churros are ready.
- Prepare churro bites: In a pie plate, whisk 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Place water, butter, salt and remaining teaspoon sugar in a medium saucepan. Over medium-high heat, bring to a rolling boil. Add flour mixture, reduce heat to low, and stir vigorously for 3-5 minutes until dough forms a smooth ball.
- Remove dough from heat, and stir in eggs, beating with a spoon until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Let dough cool at bit while heating 2-inches of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or high-sided skillet. Heat oil to 350-375°F.
- Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch diameter star tip.
- Squeeze dough into 1 1/2-inch pieces, 6 at a time, on a small piece of parchment. Use a knife to scrape piped dough off of parchment and into oil. Tap knife on edge of pan to release. Fry for 4 minutes per batch, keeping oil between 350-375°F.
- Churros will naturally turn in the oil, but use a metal strainer to rotate if needed. While each bath is drying, pipe the next 6 on parchment paper. Use strainer to remove churro bites from oil and transfer onto paper towels. Blot, then transfer into the pie plate with cinnamon-sugar and toss. Place on a wire cooling rack.
- To serve, scoop chocolate fudge sauce (it will have thickened) into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 12-15 seconds at 50% power. Serve alongside the churro bites for dipping.
- Note: Leftover churros may be rewarmed. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 300°F for 5 minutes.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.