Cider Apple Butter
- 2 pounds granny smith apples
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Peel, core and slice the apples into quarters. Combine apples and apple cider in medium- sized stock pot. Bring cider to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until apples are very tender about 20 minutes.
- Transfer apples and cider to a blender or food processor and puree the apples until mixture is very smooth. Add sugar and spices to the puree and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and reduced 30-40%.
- Let cool and transfer to a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator.
NOTE: To check that Cider Apple Butter is done, drop a spoonful on the surface of the batch. If it holds its shape for several seconds, it is ready. Another method is to drop a spoonful on a chilled plate. If the consistency is thick and spreadable like jam, it is done.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.